Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hash Brown Casserole

I'm planning on making a hash brown casserole this week, so I thought I would include the recipe. It's a great way to use up potatoes if you hit a sale (just shred them in food processor and be sure you squeeze out all the excess water). In this case I am using actual frozen hash browns. I bought them for a ridiculously low price a few weeks back and I have yet to use them. So when I was looking through my freezers to make my menu this week, I decided to make the hashbrown casserole.

That's another thing. I don't really buy the prepackaged convenience food. It's not as good for you and it's extremely overpriced. HOWEVER, always look at the sales. If you can buy two pounds of potatoes, PREPARED, for $.50 at a time when 5lbs of potatoes is costing $3 or more...then YES it is a good deal..grab it!

Hash Brown Casserole

2 lb Hash Browns
1/2 stick of margarine
1 can cream soup
1/2 stick of cream cheese is nice if you have any
1/2 onion chopped
salt and pepper to taste
2 c cheddar (reserve about half for topping)

Turn your oven to 350. Saute your onion in the butter. Remove from heat and add all the rest of the ingredients. Add the cheese for the topping and cover with foil. Cook in oven about 1/2 hr and then remove foil to brown the top. It should cook about 45 minutes in all. Easy recipe!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Oh Goodie!!! I love comments! Thanks so much for your kind words.